This project ended up taking 16 hours, 300 sticky notes, and a whole lot of scanning to complete. Every GIF was hand-drawn, no panels were reused, and the overall development of the project took a lot more effort than I had initially assumed. I documented my progress in a couple of previous posts, but I hadn’t written anything since the start of the drawing process and the project’s completion.
I wrote out the story in four hours.
I drew the GIFs in seven hours.
I scanned and edited the GIFs in four hours.
I added the GIFs to the story and did a final proofread in one hour.
Sixteen hours later, I’m finally done. There are 19 possible endings, each with a corresponding GIF. See if you can find them all!
The GIFs only work in Inklewriter via link, so I’m dumping them all here for the sake of keeping them organized and accessible. Don’t look if you’re afraid of spoilers!
Continue reading All Possible Endings Part 1: Final Project
If I make a GIF for every ending (and one GIF for the introduction), then I will have to make a total of 20 GIFs for this project. On the bright side, it took one hour to draw out three of the GIFs, which means all GIFs will be done in roughly 7 hours’ worth of work. I already spent 4 hours writing the story and one hour revising it, so with this projected time, everything from writing to drawing will be complete in 12 hours. That gives me plenty of time to scan, upload, and review the project without going over the 15 hour minimum.
In case this work goes under 15 hours, I might implement some sort of promotional GIF story to place alongside the link. It’ll be something more elaborate than simple movements and stick figures so it takes up more time in the long run. I had planned on doing something like this for my pitch, but I ended up just starting on the story instead; I figured a promotional GIF would be a little over the top, but maybe it’s just what I need to wrap up the project. We’ll see where it goes!
I finished the story (without revisions) tonight!
Here it is.
Writing the story out completely took roughly 4 hours. Now, I’m going to do some quick revision work and start drawing up the GIFs. Since the story ended up with 19 endings, I’m not sure every single one will have a GIF on it. Perhaps I’ll focus the GIFs on the “good” endings, or the ones that take the most effort to reach. I’ll work on building my GIF sets from the bottom of the narrative up. I’ll stop either when I’ve made all my GIFs or until I’ve hit 15 hours.
The website will have pages leading into each option available in the Choose Your Own Adventure story, but for writing purposes, it is being written in Inklewriter. Each important event throughout the story will have a corresponding GIF of 20-30 frames. The story will be written out underneath each GIF, and then the following options will be in the form of links.
As the story stands, two hours have been devoted to writing it. I will have to cut out much of what happens within the written version in order to condense it for the sake of time, but both versions will be available for people to enjoy.
Here is the current unfinished story.
Exciting update! I can embed GIFs into Inklewriter, so I don’t have to build pages, which will save a lot of time. I will have to rethink how I use the GIFs, though, if the story remains as broad as it is.